Who doesn’t love a dish that’s quick, easy, and full of delicious cheese? I know I do. Fritters are one of the easiest things you can possibly make. Plus, they use up leftover vegetables. These cheesy cauliflower fritters are so tasty. Kids can easily help you make them, too. They’re a perfect weeknight food.
I prefer making these cauliflower fritters with leftover roasted cauliflower, because I love the deep flavour from the cauliflower being browned in the oven. Using leftover cauliflower makes these fritters so quick to throw together. They can be on the table in about 15 minutes. You can use steamed cauliflower, instead, if you like. I’ve given directions for both roasting and steaming methods in the recipe, below.
You should use a really flavourful cheese, for these fritters, like sharp or vintage cheddar, for the best taste. You can use more than one kind of cheese, to make the fritters even more delicious. I like adding a crumbly Greek feta or smoked gouda.
I haven’t tried it, yet, but I’m guessing that these cheesy cauliflower fritters would make delicious vegetarian burgers. They have a great texture and hold together really well. They even taste good the next day, so they’re wonderful for an easy lunch.
Enjoy the recipe…
Cheesy Cauliflower Fritters
Fritters are one of the easiest things you can possibly make. Plus, they use up leftover vegetables. These cheesy cauliflower fritters are so tasty. Kids can easily help you make them, too. They're a perfect weeknight food.
Recipe adapted from Cauliflower Cheddar Fritters recipe on Gimme Delicious.
- 1 head of cauliflower, washed very well under cold water
- 2 cups shredded sharp or vintage cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup parmesan, crumbly feta, or smoked gouda cheese (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt, to taste
- ½ tsp fresh minced garlic or ¼ tsp garlic powder
- A dash of onion powder or fresh finely chopped chives, to taste
- A dash of dry basil and/ or oregano (optional)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Chop cauliflower into small florets.
- To prep cauliflower, you can roast it or steam it. To roast: Preheat oven to 400F/ 200C/ 180C fan-forced. Lightly oil a baking sheet. Toss chopped cauliflower with a drizzle of olive oil. Spread cauliflower on baking sheet in a single layer. Roast for 20-25 minutes, until cooked through and browned a bit. Or steam cauliflower until tender, using a stovetop steaming pot.
- Pulse the cauliflower in a food processor until it becomes the texture of rice. Or chop the cooked cauliflower into very small pieces.
- Combine the chopped cauliflower, cheeses, eggs, flour, salt, and seasonings in a large bowl. Stir gently to combine thoroughly.
- Heat a large skillet on medium-high. Coat pan lightly with olive oil.
- Form cauliflower mixture into patties about 3 inches across, placing in hot oil as you go. (Just form the patties as you go, to save space in the kitchen, and to save time.)
- Cook fritters until golden brown and set in the middle, about 3-4 minutes per side. Cook the fritters in small batches. Set cooked fritters aside on a large plate or platter, covered with foil to keep warm until ready to serve.
This recipe was created by Kim Sequoia for a delicious moment.
All written content and photos are copyright Kim Sequoia 2018 for a delicious moment.