Now that peaches are in season, I just had to bake a batch of these peach crumb bars. They’re full of wonderful fresh peaches. The sweet yet tart fruit filling and the buttery crumb are complimented perfectly by a drizzle of sweet glaze across the top. They’re absolutely delicious!
Just as with another favourite recipe, blueberry chocolate chip crumb bars, these peach crumb bars are made using a simple crust that is also used for the crumble topping. Using plenty of fresh peaches lets this gorgeous summer fruit shine. You can easily substitute any stone fruit or berry for peaches, in this recipe, if you like. These peach crumb bars are wonderful with a cup of coffee. Serve them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, as I did last night after a family dinner, for an extra special treat.
Enjoy the recipe…
Peach Crumb Bars
The sweet yet tart fruit filling and the buttery crumb base and topping are complimented beautifully by a drizzle of sweet glaze across the top of these peach crumb bars. They're absolutely delicious!
This recipe was adapted slightly from Saving Room for Dessert.
For the crust:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup/ 225g butter, cold, cut into small cubes
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
For the peach layer:
- 4 cups fresh yellow peaches, peeled and diced 1/4″ square (Use 6-8 large peaches or 10-11 small peaches. They should be ripe but firm enough to peel easily.)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch/ cornflour
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
For the icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar/ soft icing mixture
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk (use more or less for desired consistency)
- Preheat oven to 350F/ 180C if using a glass pan, or 375F/ 190C for a metal pan. Lightly grease or spray a 13×9-inch baking pan and set aside (I like to use Pyrex).
For the crust:
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together 1 cup of sugar, 3 cups flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Using a pastry cutter or two table knives, blend in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Add the lightly beaten egg and mix together thoroughly. Press 2/3 of the dough into the prepared pan, using the back of a large spoon (like a table spoon), until a smooth base is formed.
For the peach mixture:
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch/ cornflour, and lemon juice. Add the diced peaches and stir gently to combine. Pour the peach mixture over the crust and spread evenly.
- Crumble the remaining dough over the peach layer.
- If using a glass pan, bake at 350F/ 180C degrees for 50-55 minutes or until lightly browned. If using a metal pan, bake at 375F/ 190C degrees for 40-45 minutes. Cool completely in the pan on a cooling rack, loosely covered with a clean tea towel. Then chill bars for at least one hour before cutting.
- For the icing, whisk together the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and milk. Drizzle across the top of the bars, using a small spoon, about 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Store bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will stay fresh for about 3 days.
This recipe was created by Kim Sequoia for a delicious moment.
All written content and photos are copyright Kim Sequoia 2018 for a delicious moment.