I’m always on the hunt for easy one-pan recipes. If it feeds a crowd, that’s even better. This super flavourful and easy recipe for Roasted Chicken and Chorizo with Potatoes and Cauliflower does just that. It’s perfect for when you have a bunch of people coming over for dinner, and you really just want to make something delicious and impressive that you can simply pop into the oven and forget about until dinner time. Then, you can sip your wine and enjoy being with your guests, instead of spending half the evening in the kitchen.
The chorizo in this recipe is the star of the show. It gives everything in the pan a smoky, slightly spicy flavour. It’s delicious. I love to use bone-in skin-on chicken thighs for this recipe, because they’re really flavorful. I’ve made it with boneless, skinless chicken thighs, too, and it was still really tasty. The original recipe, by Nigella Lawson, was a bit simpler. I’ve added a couple of vegetables to my version. Sweet potatoes and cauliflower compliment the baby potatoes and red onion beautifully. The variety of flavours and textures works incredibly well together.
If you want to get a head-start on the prep for this recipe, you could chop the vegetables and chorizo in advance and refrigerate them until you’re ready to cook. Serve a simple green salad, some crusty bread, and a bold red wine to round out this fantastic meal.
Roasted Chicken and Chorizo with Potatoes and Cauliflower
This super flavourful and easy recipe for Roasted Chicken and Chorizo with Potatoes and Cauliflower is perfect for feeding a crowd. You just pop everything into the oven and let it roast. The chorizo is the star of the show. It gives everything in the pan a smoky, slightly spicy flavour. Sweet potatoes and cauliflower compliment the baby potatoes and red onion beautifully. The variety of flavours and textures works incredibly well together. It's delicious.
This recipe was adapted from Nigella Lawson’s recipe for Spanish Chicken and Chorizo with Potatoes.
- 12 chicken thighs (bone in, with skin, ideally)
- 750 g/ 1.5 lbs chorizo sausages, in bite-sized pieces (squeeze the meat out of the casings and tear it into pieces)
- 500 g/ 1 lb baby potatoes, cut the larger ones in half
- 500g/ 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut to about the same size as the baby potatoes
- 2 red onions, peeled, halved, and thickly sliced
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut/ broken into florets
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Dried oregano, to taste
- Dried basil, to taste
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/ 200°C fan-forced/ 425°F, and place 2 oven racks on the middle and lower thirds (unless you have a very large oven, as I do, then just use the middle rack).
- Spray oil on the bottom of 2 shallow roasting trays or baking sheets with raised sides.
- Brush olive oil on the fronts and backs of the chicken thighs. Place them on the pans, skin side up, leaving plenty of space around them for everything else. Season thighs with basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Put the vegetables into a large bowl. Drizzle the olive oil all over them. Add salt, pepper, basil, and oregano to the bowl. Using your hands or a large spoon, toss to coat everything thoroughly.
- Divide the chorizo pieces and vegetables evenly around the chicken thighs on the 2 trays.
- Cook for 30 minutes, then swap the top tray with the bottom tray in the oven (skip this step if you have a large oven).
- Continue cooking for about 15-30 more minutes, until chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear. (Cooking time will be less for fan-forced ovens, around 45-50 minutes total.)
- Serve a simple green salad, some crusty bread, and a bold red wine to round out this fantastic meal.
This recipe was created by Kim Sequoia for a delicious moment.
All written content and photos are copyright Kim Sequoia 2018 for a delicious moment.