Like most moms, I’m always looking for quick, easy, healthy, and delicious dishes to make for dinner. On most nights, I don’t want to spend a lot of time making dinner. As much as I love to cook, I’m just too busy to spend heaps of time in the kitchen. Arroz con pollo (chicken and rice) is one of my favourite weeknight dinners. It’s made in one pan, so that means fewer dishes to wash (bonus! especially since we don’t currently have a dishwasher), and it tastes great. I have been making this dish for a few years. I’ve made a few changes to the recipe, to suit my tastes (and to add a veggie which my kid will actually eat). If you’re looking for a quick, delicious one-pan dinner to make, you should definitely add this recipe to your list!
Simply seasoned chicken thighs in deliciously seasoned rice is a classic pairing. Jalapeños add a little heat and tons of flavour to the rice. Sweet carrots, fresh Roma tomatoes, savory caramelized onions and garlic balance the hearty flavours in this timeless dish. It can be on your table in about an hour. Perfect weeknight dinner, right?
Enjoy the recipe…
Arroz Con Pollo (Chicken and Rice)
A quick and delicious one-pan dinner, perfect for a weeknight meal.
This recipe was adapted from Simply Recipes.
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 4-6 chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- A few dashes of paprika
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 cups chicken stock/ broth
- 3 carrots, diced small
- 1 jalapeño chili, deseeded and finely diced
- 1 heaping tsp. good-quality tomato paste
- 1 cup Roma tomatoes, deseeded and diced (or quartered cherry tomatoes)
- Dry oregano, to taste
- Cumin, to taste
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Cook the chicken thighs for a few minutes on each side, until browned but not cooked through. Season thighs with salt, pepper, and paprika, as they cook. Set thighs aside and cover with foil, to keep warm.
- Add more olive oil to the pan, if necessary, and turn heat down to medium. Add onion and jalapeno to pan. Cover and cook until soft and caramelized, about 7-10 minutes. Add rice to pan. Stir to coat rice in oil. Cook for a couple of minutes, until golden brown. Add garlic and carrots to pan. Cook the rice mixture, stirring frequently, until carrots are nearly tender.
- While rice mixture cooks, in a Pyrex measuring cup, whisk together chicken stock/ broth, tomato paste, salt, oregano, and cumin.
- Place chicken thighs on top of rice. Add diced tomatoes to pan. Pour chicken stock blend over rice and chicken. Cover pan and bring just to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, stir, and cover. Let chicken and rice cook for about 15 minutes, until rice and carrots are tender, and chicken thighs are cooked through. Adjust seasonings to taste before serving.
- Lay 2 chicken thighs on top of a bed of rice, for each adult serving.
This recipe was created by Kim Sequoia for a delicious moment. Recipe has been updated on 23 June 2018.
All written content and photos are copyright Kimberly Sequoia 2017 for a delicious moment.
If you would like to use this recipe on your own site, please re-write it in your own words and link back to my original post.