“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” ~ Leonardo da Vinci
This quote seems to perfectly describe this lovely, simple pear cake. It’s the kind of cake that looks so simple, yet it is utterly satisfying. A plush crumb, thanks to a bit of cornstarch, and the subtle sweetness of very ripe pears creates such a pleasurable cake.
I have baked this cake a few times. I find myself craving this cake in autumn and winter, when pears are in season. Of course, it’s delicious any time of year. It makes an elegant finish to a lunch or dinner with family or friends. I like to serve it with a dollop of thick, rich cream or a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. I think it would be wonderful if paired with salted caramel ice cream, as well.
Elegant Pear Cake
A plush crumb, thanks to a bit of cornstarch, and subtle sweetness of very ripe pears creates such a pleasurable cake.
Recipe adapted slightly from Manger.
- 3 very ripe large pears, peeled and cut into chunks
- 150g/ 1 ¼ cups cup all-purpose flour
- 150g/ ¾ cup caster sugar
- 6g/ 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 30g/ ¼ cup/ 4 Tbsp cornstarch/ cornflour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 90g/ 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temp or slightly melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- A dash of cinnamon
- Icing mixture/ powdered sugar, to sprinkle on top (optional)
- Whipped cream, dolloping cream, vanilla bean ice cream, or salted caramel ice cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 360F/ 180C/ 160 C fan-forced. Line a 24 cm/ 9 inch springform cake pan with baking paper/ parchment paper and spray with oil.
- Using a mixer, cream the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.
- In a large bowl, sift flour. Add cornstarch/ cornflour, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder and whisk together.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed sugar and eggs and mix well.
- Add the vanilla and butter and mix until the batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Drop the pear chunks into the batter. Gently push down each piece of pear. It’s ok if the pears stick up a bit.
- Bake cake for 25-30 minutes. Allow cake to cool in pan on a rack, until it can be carefully removed from pan.
- Before serving, lightly sprinkle sifted icing mixture/ powdered sugar on top of cake, if you like.
- Serve cake with a little whipped cream, dolloping cream, vanilla bean ice cream, or salted caramel ice cream, if you like (definitely recommended). The cake is really delicious when served warm and fresh from the oven.
This recipe was created by Kim Sequoia for a delicious moment.
All written content and photos are copyright Kim Sequoia 2019 for a delicious moment.